View Part 1 of the documentary here
On a normal day, the average American is subjected to 3-5k advertising messages; from t-shirt logos, product placement, to the ads covering the sidelines of FB pages. Essentially lifestyles and ways of thinking are forced upon us, and when the average person entertains about 60k thoughts a day, you wonder how many of those are predetermined thoughts because of advertising.
Have you ever caught yourself reciting a commercial, slogan, or music lyric without event thinking twice about? Then think, “Why the hell can I not control what I am thinking, and where did that come from?” I know I have. This is because subconsciously, certain ideas, values and assumptions have been embedded into our minds; and most of us will hardly, if ever, notice.
Being a public relations major I probably should have seen this documentary before, but didn’t until recently thanks to my Communication 404: Persuasion class. I already had some idea of how American culture today has been influenced, and possibly, for lack of a better word, been manipulated (that’s on the viewer to decide).
The Persuaders delves into the consumer world created by some of the most popular brands today, and even those who are not as well-known, but are still involved in the game of distraction.
People are creatures of habit. We live nearly 80% of our lives based of off emotion, intuition and desire; the other 20% is intellect where we let the voice of reason step in to control our animal-like prowess.
And do not think for one second that the brain-trust behind every major PR, marketing, advertising firm etc. is not privy to this knowledge. They have access to nearly every bit of consumer information possible, from your beliefs, the products you buy, the lifestyle you live and much more! Not only do they know how to market to us right now, but also they predict future paths to anticipate what we will want, and when we will want it. (Kind of creepy, I know) When a person with full intent uses intelligence and abilities to manipulate others at their expense for personal benefit, with no care or (even enjoyment) towards the damage being caused, then it’s, well…you use a term to describe this kind of act.
Life is very calculated, more so than the majority of people will ever know, or even want to know for that matter; this includes consumption, commerce, entertainment and even war. I know this is a lot to digest, but from here, I only plan to divulge more information related to this topic. So take it all in, research it, and check the facts; and if you’re willing to explore deeper levels of understanding, then this is the place to begin.
View the documentary here